Friday, November 27, 2020

Has There Been A Time When I Had More To Be Thankful About?

 I am a day late in putting out a post on thankfulness and gratitude but in fact should we have to have a special day to remind us of these two incredibly important life guiding properties?

Throughout this year as so many people have suffered, we have had food, clothing, work because we wanted to work, connection with our family around the world, the opportunity to give back. I even got to travel again during that lull period in the fall. Our children and their families despite challenges related to schools closing and lock downs are all doing well, in some cases even better. 

During a period when many charitable ventures and other not-for-profit organizations have had big problems, we were not only able to successfully launch the Theodora Africa Project, we executed our beta test and now are on to our second round funding and expansion. How crazy is that? In the middle of a pandemic and economic crisis.

Health-wise, Wife and I have mysteriously somehow  remained old. The fully expected rolling back of 10 or more years did not take place DESPITE MY TWEETING IN CAPITAL LETTERS OVER AND OVER AGAIN that it was just around the corner. I was so sure if I said it LOUD ENOUGH and OVER AND OVER, it would be come the truth. But no,we still have all the physical ailments, pains and diminution of physical capabilities. That was a bit disappointing. BUT, on the other hand, we seem to be taking all the deterioration with a modicum of grace and perseverance. And I am thankful that both of us are still determined to do as much as we can with what capability we still have. We have plenty of plans and once we are able to get out again, we will.

I am thankful for dumb luck. In Theodora, we talk about the birth lottery...how so much of what you have in life is determined by where and when you were born rather than your own innate abilities. Wife and I had the good fortune to get 5 solid years of semi-retired travel fun in our lives. I know so many people who are just a few years younger than us whose plans now have all been shot to hell. 

So yes, I have a lot to be thankful and grateful for. I don't take what we have for granted. I know things can change. But I intend to appreciate and take advantage of what we have been given for as long as we have it.


2 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

I am very glad you have an those things too! It is good to have a reminder to be thankful.

alexis said...

gratitude is such an amazing panacea for mental fortitude. This is a great way to look at the world.