Saturday, September 28, 2019

Ghana Trip Three - The JOBS Project

I have been devoting my posting energy thus far to the Theodora Project since that is the major focus at the moment both to get funds and because of a feeling that we need to show progress to our participating women. However that is not the only project I am working on.

You may remember when I first came to Ghana, the intent was to test a hypothesis that the type of business advice I provide in the United States professionally, could improve businesses in developing countries and thereby create jobs. That still is a focus of activity. But unlike Theodora, it is not something that can be demonstrated relatively quickly. This is becasue there is a signficant time period that needs to transpire before the results of the consulting show up in improved business performanc and increased jobs. Thus the activities involved tend to be slower and steadier with less of the drama associated with what we are trying to do with Theodora.

Also there is no possibility of funding for this project at this point. Only when I have proved the concept and we go into expansion of institutionalizing expert knowledge and developing remote learning and coaching technologies will we be likely to look for funding.

Nonetheless, I still believe that in the long run, this project, which I have called the JOBS Project, has the greater potential for creating change in employment and wage opportunities. And the indvidual reward the comes from dealing with these business owners and entrepreneurs is great. There is not much of a culture of either mutual support or of mentorship here from what I have seen so far. Therefore, when you prove that you are not a flash in the pan, but actually are making the committment to coming here AND you actually listen and try and help, the genuineness of the appreciation is substantial.

2 comments:

alexis said...

if I think back to the number of people who have asked for mentorship and advise and then never shown any gratitude or worse disregarded it, I can imagine that is a nice feeling. Reminds me to tell my mentor that I should remind him that I am quite grateful for his advise.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

I am grateful for the many mentors on my life. (You are one of them!) I'm glad you can share that with other people.