Friday, October 5, 2018

Road Trip 2018 - Day Eight, New Orleans Photo Workshop

Yes we are doing all the things we normally do when we travel to cities internationally here in New Orleans. So today was our photographic workshop. And today's was really a workshop! It was three hours long and we spent the first half of it just going over all the capabilities of our cameras. This may not sound like a big deal but these freaking digital cameras have a bizillion functions. I hardly know any of them. Wife because she has only recently moved from the Nikon system to the Olympus system hasn't figured them all out either. So this turned out to be extremely valuable. I found out about a bunch of functions that I was not aware of. And we both found some short cut menus that made getting to the most valuable functions easier. Included in this was a review of all aspects of managing depth of field and controlling the area of detail in a picture as well as a variety of ways of checking on the color balance in pictures as you are taking them.

In the last part of the workshop, I had asked our workshop leader, Eric, (we were the only ones he had today, Yay!) to help me with composition ideas to try to create a more dramatic affect with my pictures. A lot of things that he told me, I'd heard in other workshops but it is so helpful to be reminded and get them front of mind.

Today's Photos
We were back in the French Quarter for the workshop and I was honestly a bit bored with the subject material as we'd already spent quite some time there. But the point was to practice and, therefore, you will observe my photos of the day!

Playing around with the light balance function
The universal advice for changing perspective
"Move your feet!"




Pick out the critical element you want to as the subject





Then it was just take some pictures
Painters

General





Spiders
AHHH! WATER!
Must...Take...Pictures...Of...Water...
...This...Is...Not...A...Phase....
...It...Is...An...Imperative...
Stop action
Flowing
As we were down in the French Quarter, we decided to go back to Loretta's for another of her praline filled beignet. There were these two lovely ladies from Florida and they were kind enough to let me do the sunglasses reflection shot.

Tomorrow is our last day in New Orleans and we are doing a tour of a historic market and cemetary




2 comments:

alexis said...

I see through your lens that New Orleans is a beautiful city!

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

I love the sunglasses shot!