Sunday, December 16, 2012

First Snow Hike of the Season

I've waxed enthusiastically about hiking in the snow in prior years.  But we've had nothing but dryness since early fall.  Fortunately the storm tracks seem to finally be going a bit south so we had some precipitation during this week.

Now before certain fellow bloggers who live in the North and who listen to me say nothing good about snow comment, I want to point out as I have in the past that we have very respectful snow here that stays in the mountains where it belongs not cluttering up city streets causing people to have to shovel walks or schools to have to close.

Actually I didn't expect there to be any snow when I hiked because it didn't seem to be that much that came down.  But to my surprise there was snow from the very beginning all the way through.  Not too deep, just enough to make it soft and quiet. 

There were just one set of foot prints as I set out


Then I turned to go on this loop part of the trail and the foot prints went on.
I was left in virgin snow.  
Always the opportunist, I decided this was a gift to be offered in sacrifice to the Magical Unicorn Pony God of Travel (as I have to go to Boston on Monday) and I don't recall there being a strict definition of 'virgin'.

Then I took the opportunity for various 'artistic' shots








On nice thing about hiking at this time of year and in this weather is the lack of annoying other humans.

Scene at the parking lot both when I left and when I returned.  
Saw no one the whole time I was gone.

6 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Looks like a great hike.

alexis said...

I would laugh but OH and I also enjoyed the pleasures of snow hikes and they are wonderful.

Agent W said...

Glad you had a great hike! Have an "uneventful" trip to Boston!

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

It's easier to see bear tracks with the snow on the ground. Probably safer....

Bernice said...

Great pictures.

terri said...

A soft and quiet hike sounds wonderful. I'm a bit jealous. And you got some gorgeous photos!