Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Cheetos Challenge Comments Answered

There were so many questions and inquiring comments on the Pewter Chef Cheetos Challenge that I decided to make a post just to answer them.

  • Was it delicious?

Yes the food turned our very good. I would say from a standpoint of integrating the key ingredient that the fish was clearly the top dish. The chicken was very good but I think I could have put in even more Cheetos into the butter (who knew they would melt when baked?). The Count and Contessa liked the salad but I was unhappy that the Cheetos fell to the bottom of the bowl. I would have mixed the salad and the dressing first then added the Cheetos croutons if I were to do it again.

  • The Count doing a better job than Gaius Derf

Well it would have been hard not to have. But if it weren't for the Contessa constantly reminding him it would have been about the same. As I said, I blame Wife for being so distracting to the designated photographers.

  • Use of egg wash

The egg wash (eggs beat with a little cream, milk, or water) is one of the three elements to the classic breading technique. The flour is the first step. You lightly powder the item to be breaded in flour. Then you dip it into the egg dip. This creates a kind of adhesive for the breading which is the last step. They actually teach you to use one hand for doing the flour and putting into the egg wash and then the other hand for taking it out and breading it since that second had gets totally covered with breading.

  • Where to get silver pigs

Not a clue. Count, where do you get them?

  • Someone must love Cheetos or not like you

Well I do love Cheetos. Like Terri said, once I start I can barely stop. Wife and I limit our Cheetos eating to when we take road trips. The challenge was originally given in jest but it just seemed like a cool thing to pull off so I really wanted to do it. Actually when I invite people to do this I remind them that they are going to have to eat the food which has a tendency to instill realism to the selections.

5 comments:

terri said...

I'm impressed that you answered the challenge, and even more so that you created dishes that were appetizing. You are a true artist in the kitchen!

What's up next? Beef jerky? Tootsie rolls? Cheerios?

de-I said...

Gad Terri don't give The Count any ideas!

Jules said...

I love Cheetos too. Well done.

Mike said...

Can't wait to see what the next challenge brings.

alexis said...

I vote for battle Twinkies next