Monday, November 7, 2011

Urgent But Evidently Not Critical

So with all my family, friends, and blogmates saying, "go to the doctor", I did exactly that today. Of course you can never get your own doctor on same day notice but there's always the medical plan's Urgent Care center right?

I tootled in at 10:45 after a meeting in Santa Fe. At 2:45, I was still waiting to be seen. Evidently 'urgent' does not mean 'critical' or 'timely'. At 2:45 they said they were moving people over to the Family Practice side of the operation since "they were so far behind" in urgent care. Gad who knows how long I might have waited. I was finally out an hour later. Basically the doctor said he doesn't have a clue so we might as well call it a virus and wait another week to see if it goes away. And let's do some blood work so we can feel like there's something being done.

On the plus side, they had guest internet and I worked the whole three hours I was there and got a butt ton of work done. So when I finally got home, I was pretty much caught up.

Well I think I'll go shiver and feel like crap for the evening since that is evidently what I'm destined for.

4 comments:

Mike said...

"We have no idea what is wrong with you. That'll be $100."

alexis said...

honestly, that is pathetic. When could your own GP have seen you? I think here they have special hours reserved for emergencies but it can still be a couple days.

terri said...

I am NOT happy with this plan of non-action. Seems like you've been feeling poorly for long enough and to just chalk it up to a virus seems lazy to me. I hope you'll consider a second opinion.

Anonymous said...

I went to urgent care to have them send me somewhere else to take care of a cyst on my wrist. If I'd have known what it was I would have went there in the first place, but I had to wait a long time once I got in the actual room. I'm glad you had Internet! At least you weren't just sitting there doing nothing for 3 hours.