Saturday, July 9, 2011

Visiting the Original

I'm finishing up a few days in Connecticut visiting my father O-I (original intimidator). Since he got back into his house after the fire, he has been very mellow (by his standards). I think there is an appreciation of having and being able to be in his 'home'. Plus when we moved him back in last summer, we finally got rid of tons and tons of old stuff that was part of his life with my mother (who died 6 years ago). Watching this and the experience of another friend who lost his wife recently, I'm convinced that you can't really move on with your life if you don't go through that hard process. Otherwise you're surrounded by memories and ghosts and you just can't go on.

I get back home tonight, have Sunday at home then go to Chicago for a few days work.

4 comments:

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

I didn't know you were in Conn. Tough thing to have to go through, even when you just break up with someone much less when they've passed away.

alexis said...

I'm so glad grandpa is taking some enjoyment now out of his life. He really is a remarkable man and with a brain like that it would be terribly cruel if he was always telling himself not to enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

It is a tough process to do...to go through things that belonged to a loved one or that you shared with a loved one. I just lost my last grandparent, and though it was hard coping with the loss, it was harder coping with the loss of my grandmother (his wife) 14 years ago because her death was sudden and unexpected. I'm sure it was hard for your father to get rid of those items, but I thin you're right in that you have to let go of a lot of these things in order to move on.

Mike said...

I've been fortunate enough to not yet have to deal with the loss of a close family member. I'm sure it's a terrible thing to go through. I'm glad your father is able to try to get on with his life, though, in spite of the difficulty. I'm also sure he enjoys having you there with him.