Saturday, May 29, 2010

St. Augustine

We started our trip by visiting St. Augustine on the Atlantic Coast north of Daytona Beach and south of Jacksonville. One of Wife's brothers and sister-in-laws live in Georgia about 3 hours away and it was a good place for us to meet up with them. St. Augustine is the oldest, continuously inhabited (by Europeans) city in the US. There's lots of history, which I love.

There are numerous streets and houses that date from the 17th century. However, the first things we saw with a series of 19th century buildings that were built by a gentleman named Flagler who was one of the founders of Standard Oil. He decided around the 1870's that St. Augustine was a great place to have a posh resort so he built huge hotels and brought in a railroad. Now most of the buildings are either Flagler College or a museum.

I really liked this fencing.
Sort really says, "Welcome"
We need this around our yard.

Flagler Buildings


Spanish Moss - Cool

The Fort
One of the highlights
It was never taken in battle over its centuries of use.



You know I need something like this for de-I Tower.
Sort of a statement that I'm a neighborly person.

Always lots of wildlife in Florida.
I caught a picture of Photographus obssessivus.
I think this one is a female.



6 comments:

WeaselMomma said...

Great wildlife shot.
I too like the idea of having a fort surround my home. I would want a moat too, though.

terri said...

I'm thinking the neighborhood association might express some opposition to that fence. Something about 3 year olds getting injured or something.

Mike said...

The "photographus obssessivus" made me laugh out loud.

We went to Florida on our senior trip in high school. Visited all of the "touristy" spots. Daytona Beach, Busch Gardens, etc. We were supposed to go through St. Augustine on the way back, but time didn't allow for it. Looks pretty cool. Great shots.

Anonymous said...

I love the buildings! and the Spanish Moss too!! I hope we see some like that when we go to Georgia

alexis said...

looks like y'all are having a great time. Can't wait to hear the details on Podolny-palooza!

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Cannons in the tower! I like the idea.