Monday, May 10, 2010

It's Garden Time Again

The garden is a big deal in de-I land. Wife let's all those Minnesota farm girl upbringing roots flourish. Since she like what I cook up from her efforts, I get significant input on the produce side of the garden. This year in addition to the usual tomatoes and green chile we're expanding to grow red chile and a lot of bell peppers as well. Then we had good results from leeks so many more of them along with cucumbers and lots of carrots - they've done well.

This year the gardener decided to go incognito
This is kind of a before shot so we can compare later in the summer

Ha! Mystery gardener is none other than Wife!

The phlox are already a little beyond their peak

But the oregano is going dingbats so I'm drying a bunch

7 comments:

Stef said...

my oregeno too is crazy. I have even seen some growing in a crack in our pavement! Drying it is a smart idear.

terri said...

Where's the rhubarb? A true Minnesotan would grow some rhubarb. I think that's the one thing that is actually growing here at the moment. It's too cold for everything else.

Mike said...

Very impressive. No way I could ever do anything like that. Kudos to you and wife.

de-I said...

Actually Terri there be rhubarb in the garden.

alexis said...

oh man, can I have some of the fresh oregano if you have it to spare?

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Bring out some oregano to Chicago! I know someone who could use it.....me!

Anonymous said...

One of my late-grandma's specialties was rhubarb pie. Or course being a small child that did not sound appetizing to me, so I don't remember much how it tasted. I hope that Mike and I get a house with a big yard. I would love to have a small garden. I don't know how to dry herbs, though.

I've heard it's very easy to grow whatever 'sweet' herb it is that is like a natural sweetener to put in tea. I'm going to have to work on my gardening skills.