Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Hiking 2010 Spring Report

With the good head start on conditioning that I got from my transformation to a winter hiker, I have been hitting the trails on a regular basis. Last year I confronted the reality of age and realized that I simply could not hike as hard as I have in the past without real consequences as far as pain and long recovery time.

I made a commitment to myself that I would not push myself beyond my limits. Unfortunately that meant missing out on a lot of trails that I really like because they are simply longer. So I've been experimenting with not cutting down the distance but hiking at a slightly slower pace - not pushing myself so hard.

Last weekend was the test as I went on one of my favorite trails, the South Crest, to my favorite look out point which is 4.5 miles and 2000 feet in altitude gain. I was quite successful on the way up in keeping to a moderated pace. Not so successful on the way down (effect of gravity). But it was a big success. I didn't get to the house exhausted and even though I had cooking to do for guests that night, I was not writhing around in pain.

I'm looking forward to some bigger hikes the next few weeks.

I took a number of pictures but unfortunately for some reason all but one got deleted.



7 comments:

Mike said...

You're in much better shape than me, I'm afraid. When Jules and I traveled out to the west coast this past fall, I was huffing and puffing all the way through trails like that.

alexis said...

right about this time of year I start to seriously miss new mexico!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful view. I hope you can find a sustainable way to keep doing the hikes you love.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Hey! Good for you! That's the same approached I used for running on the tread mill: slower pace and longer distance. It's worked for me too.

tim said...

I think I see a bear.

Anonymous said...

Nice view!!!
Sucks that the pictures got lost. My camera dropped into the river one time as a friend and I were floating down the river on some intertubes directly towards a snack swimming in the river. We got past the snake, but in the meantime I lost my camera and I'm still not over it. There were some good pictures on there!!

terri said...

Sounds like a great approach and obviously it has been successful.