Thursday, May 20, 2010

Geek Platinum Status

Some people worry about their street cred (even though they really are geeks who get Discover magazine). But I have absolutely guaranteed that I will be Geek Platinum for the rest of my life with this fabulous purchase - The Correlated History of Earth chart.

I got this a couple of months ago when AinA was visiting during our trip to Taos and it has taken me this long to get it on the wall. I'm afraid that there was a ton of glare so the pictures aren't that great.

One look at this and you can hardly get an idea of the massive amount of information it holds.

There are maps showing the positions of the land masses for each of the ages of the earth.

Here's the periods from the Cretaceous through the current period.

Hey look! There's the Pangaea super-continent!

And look there, there were TWO ice ball earths. Get out of here!

Of course it wouldn't be a correlated history if we didn't keep track of every major impact crater known and other massive events.

Wilkes Land? That was a big one. Bigger by almost 80% than Chicxulub that wiped out the dinosaurs.

Well of course, it was at the end of the Permian when the great Permian mass extinction took place eliminating around 90% of life.

And there are sections keeping track of the rise and fall of life.

See those stars? They mark an extinction. This is the Cretaceous mass extinction.

Be still my heart, there is even a section that correlates our position in the galaxy with mass extinctions.

I've placed this next to my office so when I'm on the phone and wandering (I usually walk when I talk on the phone), I can mosey over and study the chart. Next time you call me just ask me a question.

7 comments:

Mike said...

Wow. You're my first-round pick for the next trivia team.

alexis said...

I can't believe it's not framed! Shouldn't it get that honor at least??

Anonymous said...

I am impressed. I will write a letter of support for your Geek Platinum nomination.

Stef said...

What a neat thing to share with your grandchildren when they visit

terri said...

I feel so uneducated. Give me your phone number. I have some questions.

p.s. I wander while on the phone too. Can NOT sit still. We have more in common than we knew! :-)

WeaselMomma said...

Okay, I have to go for the easy, cheesy joke about me not being the only one reminiscing about childhood today.

Anonymous said...

Lol. I love trivia, but that may be a bit much for me!