Thursday, March 12, 2009

More Questions Answered

The current score for the 2008-09 Road Kill Challenge

Afraid Aimee the Huntress is still far in the lead with four kills. Nonna is second with two. Those vicious Chicagoans (Lakeview, Weaselmomma, Motherrocker, John the Armenian, and Ricardo) have come up with nada - zip - nothing. Unless you count their vehicles. MR and JtA could count three kills just in the last two months if I counted the number of times their car has died and they had to bring it in)

When will Mrs. de-I post pictures of the Amsterdam Barcelona trip?

My guess based on her project load is sometime in the fall.

How does someone live in a place that only gets 10 inches of rain a year?

Take showers one a month? No no no. We use to just plunder all the acquifers but we've finally started to wise up. Most of our water actually comes from the snow fall in the Rocky Mountains. This is true for most of the West. You should know that Southern California in fact doesn't get much more annual rainfall than we do. They pump all their water in from the Sierra Nevadas and the Rockies.

In reality, people here have started to become very concious of water usage. People who live in areas where water is more plentiful tend to be very wasteful about using it. Here local communities constantly make people aware of practices that use up unnecessary amounts of water.

The majority of yards have had their lawns ripped out and replaced by xeriscaping. Water usage is monitored. You don't do things like just let the water run when you wash dishes. The city subsidizes the switch to low water toilets. In Albuquerque we have actually reduced our per capita water use substantially over the last 10 years.

By the way, if you only have 10 inches of rain, you obviously don't have much snow :)

10 comments:

terri said...

Just reading the few ways you mentioned in which to conserve water makes me realize how much we take it for granted here. The sprinklers are always on in the summer months in order to keep the lawn looking lush and green. And the hot shower runs longer in the winter in an effort to keep me warm!

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Hey, what about my rat killings? I have two in the last month or so. That's gotta count for something.

alexis said...

OMG - I live in AMSTERDAM, city of frickin' rain and water... and it still kills me to leave the tap running while brushing teeth or doing dishes. Old habits die hard.

WeaselMomma said...

I'm glad I'm nt losing the challenge all by myself!

Anonymous said...

And one of the benefits of all that xeriscaping with native plants is that Albuquerque lawns avoid looking just like every other lawn in suburbia.

stef said...

As a great lakes city, we are VERY cavalier about our water useage here. Which I know always shocks you when you come. I think we are going to get a rain barrel though- so that's good!

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Rain barrel?? You mean cesspool and breeding ground for mosquitoes right stef??

Mike said...

Wow... you definitely answered my question about the lack of rainwater! I didn't think about the melted snow coming down off of the mountains. I had to Google "xeriscaping," though, because I'd never heard of it prior to reading your post. Pretty cool.

Anonymous said...

Sorry Lakeview, but I actually RAN OVER a mouse on my way home tonight!!! Yep, tally up another for The Huntress!

Anonymous said...

Yeah!! i'm in second! woohoo. hey do i get double points if i manage accidently on purpose run over the neighbors dog who like to take chunks out of my dogs ear? not to mention his propensity for attacking humans. i. hate. that. dog.
i must admit i am totally guilty of wasting water. it's just very hard when we seem to have an abundance of rivers and such around here. not to mention the fact that my water bill is usually less than 20 bucks a month!