Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Liberation from Gothic Captivity

So the Visigoths (daughter Pulisha, son-in-law Tim de Buffalo and three grandchildren) having decided that the plunder and pickings will be better in St. Petersburg Florida officially vacated the Roman capital of Albuquerque at roughly 4:15 PM Mountain time. A couple of short raiding parties took place last night and today but to be honest, they just didn't seem to have the usual zeal for pillaging.

Having them here was not something either of us expected to have. One of the things about being people who believe in going to where your heart tells you and being part of families that have the same feelings is you're not going to have extended family around. We for the most part did not have family close by when raising our kids. And we knew that the chances of our kids living in Albuquerque were really remote.

It was nice to have them and to be honest we really wondered when they decided to come here whether it would be right for them. They are making a move that really makes sense for them and that I feel they will be much happier with.

So both Wife and I will have a bit of heavy heart tonight.

8 comments:

terri said...

I'm sorry. I feel that way when my son goes back to school only 4 hours away and he comes back quite often. I can imagine how much harder it would be to have loved ones move out of state.

Bernice said...

Hopefully our children appreciate us not putting a big guilt trip on them for following their heart even though it means moving a long way away. But then DH and I and you and Mrs. de-I did that so we encourage our children to do the same. But it is hard.

Unknown said...

Living away from your children is hard indeed! We have found that it deepens your love for them.

Sorry that they had to leave....
you are a special part of their lives.

We wish them well....the change will be like a new adventure for them.

You just want them to be happy!

G. Derf & Agent W

stef said...

Oh. this makes me so sad. But I am grateful we get to see each other as much as we do. I guarantee the time you spent with your grandchildren will have an effect on your relationships with them forever and that is a good thing. And now you have an excuse to drum up some business in FL!

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Hmmm, Podolny St. Petersburg. I could open that office....for six months of the year at least.

Actually, with the insane winters we've had here recently, I've been thinking about moving or buying a place somewhere warm. I'm not sure I could move permanently though while my parents are still here in Chicago. I happily see them too often to be a plane ride away.

Mike said...

I know it's gotta be rough on you. Believe me, though, when I say that your offspring will appreciate the fact that you've been supportive. I'm sure moving away wasn't entirely an easy decision for them either, and letting them know how sad it makes you probably wouldn't have made it any easier for them. I only live about an hour and a half away from my mom and dad, but moving away from them was definitely a change. They were very supportive, though, and it meant a lot to me.

Pulisha said...

If it makes you feel any better, I totally cried on our way out of town. C was also very sad, but the other two were blissfully unaware of what this move means. J thinks we are following the Very Hungry Catapiller to his winter home, lol. We are here in the new house, btw. I will call you tonight to tell you all about the new digs!

Anonymous said...

awwww. that sucks for you guys but what a great new adventure for your kids and g-kids who will, after all, always be able to come back home for visits :)