Saturday, March 28, 2009

Mado

I know it must seem to you that I go to Chicago just to eat...NOT TRUE. In fact Mr. Ricardo had me going with marketing calls and client meetings from 7:30 AM through 5 PM each day.

HOWEVER to say that I don't take advantage of the eating opportunities in Chicago especially with co-conspirators Motherrocker and Ricardo to egg me on would be an outright lie.

Our last meal of this trip was at a new restaurant named Mado in Wicker Park. Motherrocker had gone there recently with her/our food blogging cousin/niece recently and recommended it to me as just my cup of tea.

Mado specializes in making its own Mediterranean style pork products - especially what would be called in France charcutrie. These are things like cured meats, pates, sausages and the like. An extra benefit is that it is BYOB which means you know you can get the wine you like for a lot less than you would pay at a normal restaurant.

Ricardo and I though the meal was great because the food tends to be focused on the preparation of the main element itself with the sauce in a minor supporting role. Lakeview on the other hand disagreed because he enjoys food where the sauces and flavors are more prominent.

High points for Ricardo and I were our three appetizers - a Tuscan Liver Pate (very smooth and rich), Rillettes (a kind of pork confit shredded and served as a spread), and something called Ciccoli (spelled wrong I think - another pork confit with the meat pieces kept large - the best of the three). We loved our main course as well which was porcetta - this is a big rolled roast of pork made with the loin and belly (the same parts that go into pancetta). These are lightly marinated and roasted. It was served with really nicely cooked al dente butter beans and some arugala and the pot juices from the roast.

Mado Menu in Unreadable Cell Phone Photo Form Would you believe that nortorious food critic Joe D was there!
She refused to allow me to take her picture.

Pictures of the liver pate and ciccole

Mr. Lakeview had a calamari and bread salad

Our Slab 'O' Porcetta
Much less heavy than one would think because of the lack of the cloying sauce

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you can reward yourself after all that hard work.

Pulisha said...

I find pastrami to be the most sensual of all the cured meats...sorry, I just watched that episode of Seinfeld recently (thank you hotel stays!), and your post reminded me of it. Also, I love pretty much any cured meat product, so Mado sounds heavenly!

Mike said...

I suppose it's safe to say that ordering a Quarter Pounder with cheese is not an option at this establishment...

WeaselMomma said...

I am very glad that you enjoyed it. I however would starve through that meal. I'm much to picky for that type of fare.

terri said...

I generally don't like pork all that much, but the way you describe the selections at this restaurant, I'd be willing to give it another chance.

stef said...

glad you liked it! although i can't believe you didn't order the pig ears!

Michael Podolny said...

Trust me Mike - once I get you and your gf to Chicago the Quarter Pounder is just going to seem like a phase you went through...you too Weaselmomma!

Stef - pig's ears weren't on the menu that night :(

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

I really WANTED to like the food more, but it just wasn't happening. Thankfully the company was outstanding. It would have been nice to add another good BYOB restaurant to the list.

Anonymous said...

I'm up for Chicago! Mike and I need to take a weekend road trip anyway, and I'm all about food. You make things that I would never want to try sound delicious.