Saturday, October 11, 2008

Review of the Weekend

A multi-faceted weekend. First let's start with construction photos!

Our hallway from the front entrance way to the bedrooms
Flooring is out and on the left they've taken out the closet.
The stairway to the new upstairs will go up and left from this point

This was our exercise/TV room. That space will now be used partially for the stairs and partially as expanded wine storage.


Looking back out from the room through what was closets back toward the hallway

This is taken looking at the ceiling towards where the stairs are going


And in addition to the addition to the house, we also made a decision to do some new landscaping in our front yard since we've done nothing there since we moved in 8 years ago.

Our friends exiled in Salt Lake City, Gaius Derf and Agent W were here because she had work and their daughter and her in laws were vacationing at the Balloon Fiesta. So we had them over for dinner on Friday night, met up with them and the rest of their crew for Saturday dinner, and Derf and I went hiking Sunday

Tomato Salad (from the garden) and Deviled Eggs filled with crispy proscutto
Things are winding down with the garden and the shortening days so Wife spent all day Friday harvesting things and pulling out the dying plants. Of course that meant a lot of processing of produce by me. I took all day Saturday working on roasting, peeling and seeding New Mexico Chiles and Poblano Chiles. Then I roasted about 20 pounds of tomatos. I peeled those and I drained them separating the water (which I use like a cooking stock) and pulp. Then I took a bunch of butternut squash and I cooked it with the NM green chile to make a soup. Finally, some of our chiles went red (got riper than they should be for fresh chile) so I dried them out and made my own red chile flakes.

Mass 'O' Produce


Squash and Green Chile Soup
Crisped up bacon will finish this off

My homemade red chile flakes
They smell awesome. I'm planning to make some sort of red chile dish for AinA's boy friend at Christmas

7 comments:

terri said...

Sounds like an amazingly productive weekend. I think we could learn a lesson from you about the end-of-season garden harvest. Too much of ours goes to waste.

Anonymous said...

I have at least 6 yellow spaggheti squash that are nearly ripe, if not already. Do you have any recommened recipes or ideas to use them?

alexis said...

wow, I bet that red chilepepper is gonna be HOT

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

I might need to get that butternut squash soup recipe. Sounds pretty tasty.

If you finish your renovations before my guest bathroom is done, I'm going to be PISSED!!

stef said...

That is so crazy. i can't wait to see what it looks like!

Anonymous said...

I sure hope mom let's me utilize the porta-potty when I am slaving away in the garden.

Michael Podolny said...

OM - would you believe I've never made a spaghetti squash in my life? However, I will bet that your cousins Renee Michelle and Stephanie have.

Alexis - Not sure how hot they will be because the green chile this year was hot but not HOT.

LVC - Very easy recipe but you need NM Green Chile. I can bring some for you the next time I'm in town. Odds makers are giving 1-2 that I beat Handy Man Mike.

Tim - Mom said she'd even print out copies of the Buffalo sports page for you to read in there.