Monday, March 11, 2024

Sunday Dinner With Friends

 For a variety of reasons, it is rare for us to entertain anymore. I big part, as I have written in the past, is I find it much more difficult physically to cook. Plus, Wife and I both tire early in the evening and don't have much appetite in the evening. But we are not that fond of going out to restaurants. I find them too pricey for the value, always feel rushed, and uncomfortable. But we had friends who'd just returned from a trip to New Zealand and Australia. If we didn't catch up with them soon, it would be a long while before we could.

We had them over for what we call our 'Sunday French Dinner'. This our eating at around 2pm on Sunday. We find we have plenty of time to talk and relax, have our best appetite, and never get too tired. I wanted to have a light meal yet with some culinary variety. AND i did not want to cook on the day of the meal. So I prepared the following. It only took me 3 hours on Saturday to accomplish. Everything was designed to be served at room temperature.

Potato Leek Soup - I finished it with cream, butter and finely chopped green onions

Fritatta - Made with onions, mushrooms, asparagus, and zucchini.

Marinated Roasted Bell Peppers - Marinated with anchovy paste, onion paste, garlic paste, olive oil and lemon juice. Finished with orange zest, orange juice, and salt cured capers.

Braised Celery - Cooked in Sicilian flavored broth, onions and garlic. Finished with a touch of chile flavored olive oil.

Homemade Pickles - Salt cured baby cucumber slices flavored with vinegar and sugar.

Our guests brought a lovely New Zealand, Central Otago, Chardonnay. I had a French Chablis, made with the same grape which were interesting to compare.

A great time was had.



3 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

That sounds a lot like a Spanish meal, except they would have said that you forgot the meat. :)

alexis said...

I love eating big meals in the afternoon and I'm half your age!

Bernice said...

Video wasa nice touch. I wish I would learn to cook ahead like that.