Thursday, July 9, 2020

Joy And Gratitude

A lot of my time...a lot...is being spent helping to get the Theodora Ghana project off the ground. Here is a quick review for those who might not remember or are unfamiliar.
  • Theodora Ghana is a venture that is helping women in a developing country (Ghana West Africa) who end up living using sex work (because of a lack of jobs and an abusive culture towards women) to get out of that trap by turning them into virtual personal assistants selling services in the United States.
  • This venture went from just an idea in June 2019 to being funded and actually training women and providing services to business owners in June 2020.
  • For some reason, God has seen me be his/her vehicle to make this all happen. Because I have no background that would lead one to believe I would be the likely facilitator of all this.
  • And despite the program nearly dying before we even started due to the coronavirus pandemic, somehow we are off the ground and making things happen.
One of the immediate results of this is that I spend a lot of time with our women. I work with them on what daughter #3 and development head calls our angel clients - people who will hire our women knowing they are rough and need training but still expect to get something positive for their businesses.

It is coaching and teaching in the most intense and personal manner. It requires spending a lot of time with each individual showing them what they did wrong and in a way that motivates them, not beats them down. 

We have progressed way beyond what I thought they could do to the point where our venture is in serious need of business organization. So today we had the first of what will be a number of business planning sessions. Who would have believed last February when I left, that I would be having a conversation with the women about business planning, about the right way to posture ourselves via internet presence? Not me for sure. I was pretty blown away by how many of the major principles of business the women had a familiarity with. It was a very uplifting and productive session.

I have found this group to be the most rewarding people I have ever coached. They are going to succeed and it will be a blessing that I have had a hand in helping them.  I may be locked up at home. But I have found that working with this group of women has been as uplifting and exciting as anything I have ever done.

And forgive me for being crass...we are still looking to raise donor money to keep the program sound. So if you have anything for donations, you will not just be helping these women but building a program that will help many others escape the trap of sex work.

2 comments:

alexis said...

I bet it has been very rewarding to see the growth. We get a lot out of giving as humans, and we forget that.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

It's been great to watch this project take off!