Sunday, August 30, 2009

Some Simple Dishes

One of the things I learned early on when starting to cook was the use of some simple flavor combinations that can serve as the base for a number of different preparations and improvisations as well.

I was grilling this weekend and wanted to make a number of dishes but not have to do any research. I started with a couple of preparations that used a standard Asian flavor base of oil, sherry, soy sauce, and brown sugar.

Pork Marinade - I was making country ribs (more of a roast than like spare ribs). To the base I added ginger, garlic, Thai basil and miso (a fermented soy bean paste with a sweet salty flavor). The meat was marinated for 5 hours, browned over the grill and cooked over indirect heat with the grill closed for and additional 25 minutes.

Spicy Jicama Salad - The dressing used the Asian flavor base with the substitution of rice wine vinegar for the sherry. I added some Chinese chili garlic paste (you can find this in most grocery stores) for the heat. To the dressing I put shredded jicama (a Mexican vegetable that is quite crispy and sweet) and let it rest for an hour to let the flavors meld.

I also had a simple tomato salad with just good olive oil, basil from the garden, salt and pepper. When you have great tomatoes from your garden or a farm stand, you don't need any more.

Corn is also in season here. I made a simple side dish by grilling some previously steamed corn, and some red bell peppers while I grilled the meat. I then cut the corn off the cob, chopped up the peppers and mixed them up. Incredible how good such a simple dish was.

Bon Apetit

7 comments:

WeaselMomma said...

Now you are just making me hungry.

terri said...

I'm so glad you're willing to share your creative cooking knowledge. My brain just doesn't work that way. I need all the help I can get.

Anonymous said...

Uncle de-I, you were the one who recommended Rozin's Flavor Principle cookbook to me. It was hard to find, but worth it.

Anonymous said...

This causes me to suggest the thought of creating a cookbook to you again.

stef said...

how did i not get that flavor principle book recommendation?

de-I said...

Here, here now Stef, I have extolled the virtues of The Flavor Principle Cookbook to you and your sisters for decades!

Mike said...

You're talking to the guy who felt accomplished when he successfully prepared Hamburger Helper for the first time. There will be no improv for me.