Friday, August 14, 2009

Communication - Key to a Long, Strong Marriage

Those of you who are relatively new to the marriage cycle with only 5, 10, or 20 years experience, I am going to pass on the wisdom as figured out by Wife and I as we are finishing our 36th year of "uninterrupted bliss and harmony".

Communication is the key. Let me show you an example from last night of how this works.

Partners 1 & 2 are having dinner. In the course of the dinner conversation a frustration breaks out when partner 1 doesn't understand what partner 2 is saying. Details are not important here.

1 suddenly decides he/she is not hungry and ups and leaves the table leaving food on plate and goes upstairs to watch TV.

2 finishes dinner and cleans up carefully putting 1's food away. 2 goes and watches TV.

After 45 minutes 1 comes down to normal TV spot downstairs.

2 walks by room and gives brief smile and gets brief smile back.

1 - "Are you still talking to me/"
2 - "Of course, I'm not the one who went away"
1 - "I'm hungry"
2 - "I'll get your dinner"

2 brings dinner to 1. Brief discussion of issue ensues. 1 summarizes.

"We're in our 60's. I fully expect us to have the same arguments when we're in our 80's"

Mutual laughter and kisses between 1 & 2

The End

6 comments:

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Yay for harmony!!!

Mike said...

I'm taking careful notes here...

terri said...

I'm confused. When does the pouting, door slamming and swearing under one's breath come in?

de-I said...

Terri - that takes way too much energy. As you get older you just want to get through the process as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Anonymous said...

I'm all about communication

Stef said...

I love this. bookmarking it for future reference.