Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Around The World In 72 Days - Xi'an Status Report

We are starting our third day in Xi'an and will head back to Shanghai this evening. Xi'an has been a Real Eye Opener. Not at all what I expected. Yes, it is very touristy. But, there is so much history and there are aspects of the city itself I did not anticipate. Sadly, we are once again suffering from the trials of the Iron Firewall (the Chinese system to limit the ability to access various content and sites from outside China) so I've had a terrible time getting online. And to make matters worse, I forgot a critical component that allows me to transfer my pictures off my camera to my computer. So I haven't been able to do any work on them (let alone get them posted). I started taking more pictures with my phone, but because of our busy day yesterday, I have been able to work on them, let alone try to post them. We have a couple of quiet days in Shanghai coming up so I am sure I will get caught up. 

One reason I really like Xi'an is that it was the capital of the Tang Dynasty, my all time favorite Chinese Empire Dynasty (though I did learn that the short lived Sui Dynasty did all the dirty work of reunifying the Empire that the Tang then got to take to another level). I get very tired of the Ming Dynasty getting so much of the publicity. I'm sure you, as fellow Chinese Dynasty fans, understand what I'm saying.

So the highlights of what we've seen are:

  • The Great Goose Pagoda - A gigantic Buddist temple complex (not to be confused with the Grey Goose Pagoda, a drinking spot in the center of town)
  • The Terra Cotta Army Museum - This is every bit worth its reputation (especially with a knowledgeable guide) and takes the words 'huge' and 'massive' to another whole level.
  • The City Walls - These have been restored and completely enclose the center city
  • A Tang Dynasty Inspired Musical Show - Which I enjoyed way more than I imagined I would. (Though the meal before it I could have skipped entirely).
  • Seeing Xi'an at Night - This city completely transforms form boring to exhilarating via the lighting all over it.
There will be many pictures so I will get these up as soon as I can.

2 comments:

alexis said...

We really enjoy Xi'ian way back when. Sounds like it was a hit for you guys too! Sorry about the internet woes but I guess they are at least not a surprise.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

I'm intrigued by the Tang dynasty musical show! Will it hit Broadway soon?