Thursday, April 11, 2024

Around The World In 72 Days - We Pause Our Regulary Scheduled Programming

For internet issues in the city of Guilin. We are visiting here for 4 days with #2 and 2B. But the WiFi is not cooperating. I am able to connect via my phone but am not sure if I will be able to upload any pictures with it. Be prepared for the catch up early next week.

The short story is:

  • We fly to Guilin, a small city of 5 million (that's small in China) because it has limestone mountain features renowned in Chinese art. We are looking for the photographic experience.
  • YES, a new Asian Discount Airline experience. Suparna Airlines. Turns out they are just fine. They even served a meal that was downright edible.
  • We have booked a Chinese guide and driver. The guide experience is 'interesting'. They follow a script. 
  • But we are cranky old people. After running up and downstairs in a cave (this after our hour and a half to get to the airport and almost three hour flight), we bailed on the last event to go to our hotel and rest up. I thought she was going to meltdown.
  • At the hotel, I can't get on the internet and have a meeting later, SO I MELT DOWN.
  • But all is well and we have YET ANOTHER great meal found by 2B.
  • I pick up some alcohol at a convenience store Using the AliPay App for the first time! Look at me going local!
  • Then sleep. Our hotel room is huge. The bed is the largest bed I've ever seen. The shower works great.

 

2 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

2B really does have amazing skills to detect delicious food!

I am impressed by the AliPay app use. Many people pay with apps here but I haven't been brave enough to figure it out yet.

alexis said...

I'd love to hear how many other westerners you see around your travels. When I went to Guilin area a million years ago, it was mostly Chinese tourists but definitely like 15-20% minimum westerners too