Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Around The World In 72 Days - Post Earthquake Stroll

 Let me stop you before you get your hopes up. This not going to be a post showing all the scenes of devastation around us from yesterday's earthquake. In Taipei in general, and in our area specifically, very little damage occurred. We were shaken up and taken out of our complacency but that's it. 

Because of the quake, we weren't really in the mood for taking a long metro ride out of town which was our original plan. We decided instead to just go for a walk and explore our neighborhood. Wife and decided this was a good excuse for us to go into photo shoot mode. It turned out the neighborhood had a lot to offer.

Off we go!

A common theme through out are the Grandchildren saying...

"Where's (fill in with Grandma or Grandpa as appropriate)" as we go wandering off after some shot or other. Or...

"Grandpa (or Grandma), get out of the street! You can't stand there and take pictures!"

(And yes, this is all a bit of role reversal with Wife and I know playing the wandering toddlers and 2.2. and 2.3 the parents)

Major Theme - Food

It is mind boggling just how many food options there are in just this rather small section of the city.


Then we have motorcycles and motor scooters

 

Taipei has vast coffee options

There is also Exotic Taipei Coffee, Cheap Taipei Coffee, Fancy Taipei Coffee just to name a few.

Taiwan is an Extremely capitalist culture. 

While the New Taiwanese Dollar is the official currency, there are many other subsidiary currencies as well.

Some even have their own banking systems

General Street Scenes



The Mandatory Temple Shot


Education

Education is valued very highly in East Asian cultures

Even baked goods are encouraged to seek out schooling

Personally, though, I found this outfit's recruiting a bit creepy.

Laundry

It is not a de-I neighborhood shoot without a Laundry Shot

Uncategorized


And of course...

SIGNS OF THE WORLD

Special, "We're Not Sure" Edition

Is this a school for Dancing? Contortionists? Chiropractic Work? Sadomasochism Studies?

Where Pigs Loving Brews Congregate?

And lastly...

The Place for Romance? Heart Transplants? Cannibalism?

3 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

I'm going to hang out with the pig holding a beer. He looks like he's having a good time.

alexis said...

I can't believe I had to go to mom's blog to find you you were on the toilet when the earth quake hit. That is like the best story EVER! Readers want details!

de-I said...

Alexis, it's in the very first sentence of my special post on the earthquake. Much like Mom, I am cooly analyzing, "Should I wipe my butt first? Do I just try to find an area to secure myself. How much can these walls take? What will rescuers think when they find my dirty butt naked carcass in the rubble?"