Monday, January 16, 2023

Malaysia 2022/23 - #22 - Final Foodie Post And Fuji

 Our last few days in Malaysia saw some of our best meals.

Don't get me wrong. We ate extremely well. But for the most part, we were just eating what I would call 'daily food'. We weren't looking for anything special. 

But on our second to the last day in Penang, we went to a seafood restaurant right near the Jetty Food Court where we'd eaten many times. It wasn't very crowded and the Chinese owner found out we were in the mood for a whole fish. She brought us over to where the fish were and we picked out a red snapper. Then we ordered a couple of other dishes when she says, "That's enough. That's plenty of food." LOL. She was right.

Water Spinach sauteed with Sambal (thankfully NOT the hotest sambal we've had on the trip)


Deep Fried Soft Shell Crab with Salted Egg Flavor


 I am still not sure what the 'salted egg flavor' is but I think I've decided I'm not a fan.

The Star

Whole Fish Steamed with Ginger and Garlic

Have you ever seen a presentation like this? We haven't and we've eaten our fair share of whole fish. But it was actually pretty inspired as it made getting the meat off of each side really easy. The fish was excellent.

On our last night in Malaysia we stayed at Kuala Lumpur Airport's Hotel, the Sama Sama Hotel.

 This is a great value in hotels. Nicer than many premium brands, it was only $100 per night for a great room, quiet with excellent beds. I fully expected the restaurant to be very expensive. And it was...by Malaysian standards. For 1 salad, 2 main courses, and four drinks it cost $60! 

This salad I would match against so many across the world that are so deficient

 Wife ordered a Fish and Chips

This was our least favorite as the breading was way to think. Though the fish itself was very good. But look at the size of that monster!

 But the killer dish was the Curry Mie with Seafood

Curry Mie is noodles with a curry broth.

It was insanely good. Absolutely the best I'd had on the trip.

 An interesting sidebar

We had finished our meal. Our waiter asked if we wanted coffee. He had inquired what we'd done in Malaysia and other kinds of questions. He insisted we try this special tea 'on the house'. Very sweet. Then we wanted to pay using up as much of the local currency as we could. We had a lot of small bills and coins. But we knew we did not have enough for the whole bill. We talked to him. He said no problem. He sits down at our table and he is counting out everything. Figuring out what we'll put on the charge card to cover the balance. He asks us if we are Portuguese. I'm thinking that's an odd question. He mentions he is from the Portuguese Malay sub-group. We start talking about our experience at the Portuguese settlement on Christmas Eve. He tells us he was their, home, for Christmas Eve. I am laughing. Why didn't you invite us in? We talk about the restaurants their. The cost compared to the average Malaysian worker's salary. It was such a lovely interchange.

Mount Fujiama

We a on our approach to land at Narita Aiport in Tokyo. I am thinking "Wouldn't be cool if I could see Mt. Fuji". But the chances are so slim. It will be cloudy. I will be on the wrong side of the plane. I won't even be able to pick it out. But NO. There is is. Clear as can be. I start taking a bunch of pictures with my phone. I don't expect any to turn out. But at least a couple do. Very cool.


2 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

That is a really neat experience when you can talk to a local stranger for a bit, like you did with the waiter.

And I am jealous of that salad!

alexis said...

awww, beautiful last meal, beautiful flight