Sunday, January 22, 2023

Is Plan A Dead?

We are told that an entire cottage industry has grown up making investment bets on what Wife and de-I might do with their future. Are they really going to pull the plug and move out of country to Spain? That's Plan A. Are they going to travel like they've done in the past and stay where they are? That's Plan B. But Plan B had a variety of sub-Plans. The majority of the market has been backing Plan A. Plan A futures soared right after the return from Malaysia.

Then came a rumor swirling through the virtual trading floors like a prairie wild fire. It was daft idea. I mean really DAFT. Like the Dutch American Friendship Treaty. It allows an American to get a visa to live in the Netherlands if they set up a business for just a $5,000 investment. Could de-I and Wife after all their proclamations about their love of the Mediterranean life suddenly go the Netherlands or at least use that as a base? Suddenly investors were desperately trying unwind their positions based on Plan A and trying to get in on the DAFT action.

But the real savvy players were in buy and hold mode on Plan B. Their logic? Insurance cost. In all the modeling, the long-term visa models for all countries tended to flounder when you factored in the cost of health insurance. But what about the negative statements from de-I and Wife about maintaining the Albuquerque property, Plan A and DAFT adherents cried. That will force them to move on the long-term visa.

Then came shocking news. Wife in her research had dug up a series of stories about people who had actually done the expat move to Spain. In one of them was an incredible statement. "Winter in Spain, almost everywhere, is incredibly cold! Why? Because there is no central heating or insulation." The story said people left their homes each day because it was warmer outside!" de-I was quoted as saying, "I don't want to freeze my ass off!"

Plan A positions plummeted. DAFT future holders saw the value drop 85% in a matter of hours. There were margin calls. Investors were scrambling for cash to keep creditors at bay. Plan B buy and holders smirked to each other on social media. 

However, a number of really experienced financial advisors simply shook their heads at the madness. One was quoted, "These people are just betting. There is no logic to this market. Who can believe a guy who set up de-I's Sandia Outfitters? They should get into something more rational and stable. Like Crypto."

3 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

LOL. It's fun to watch this from the sidelines. I'm happy that all my funds are secure in vintage Lego kits, which I know will resell for a fortune.

Bernice said...

I am calling my investment advisor. This is far more that I can figure out.

alexis said...

I wish I had listened to RM!!