Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Malaysia 2022/23 - #19 - Kek Luk Si Mega Temple

We are in the middle of a run where we are trying to see every temple we possibly can before we leave Penang. We have the words of Daughter #3 exhorting us, encouraging us, driving us onward - "See every freaking temple you possibly can until you drop!" So we dedicate this temple marathon to her and her inspiring encouragement. 

(Wife just told me that I might have misinterpreted what #3 was saying. Perhaps, just perhaps, she was being sarcastic about our tendency to over do things? Nah, that couldn't be possible. Could it?)

Kek Luk Si is far and away the largest temple on Penang. It is Chinese and features a 220 foot tall statue of the Goddess of Mercy and a seven-tier pagoda. It's big. We can see it from our apartment which is some 5-6 miles away. It is built on the side of hill. It requires a major climb or going up via two funiculars and one electric cart ride between the funiculars. It took 20 years to build and was an expression of appreciation of their good fortune by the Malay Chinese community at the turn of the last century.

This Goddess of Mercy is BIG

I mean BIG

You know what I mean. Like NOT SMALL

Even her accompanying demons are BIG

And tough looking. Mercy may be kind but its attendants...

Even dragons come to the Goddess for Mercy

The Goddess' Elephants are tough looking too!

Don't mess with Mercy

I am not nearly as up to speed on my Chinese deities as I should be but there are one helluva a lot of statues of them and/or their devoted acolytes in a temple of this size.



 

 

 

 

Looking down back toward George Town

Around the Temple grounds


A Temple of this magnitude requires a lot of donations to keep it going.

So Please Give

Please?

We're serious. GIVE!

Photography

Shadows/Silhouette


Reflection



Candids

Leading Lines


Flower

On to Lunch

We have become totally comfortable going to whatever local Kopitiam we can find. These are usually fairly unassuming places run by Malay Chinese. There host location is the coffee shop itself.  It will be open air. You will sit down and place your drink order, paying for it when it arrives. All around the coffee shop area are small booths preparing and selling various foods, the majority based on rice or noodles

On the right hand corner is the no frills kopitiam

Today I am having duck meat noodle soup

We are wiped out and take our Grab back to the apartment catching one more shot of street art

3 comments:

alexis said...

I think that temple was worth dropping for though - it looks like a great end cap to your adventure!

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Could you and Aunt de-I take turns dropping? I am concerned about who is going to scrape you up and put you back in the plane to go home.

Tim said...

Or take son-in-law 2b's (or whatever the heck name I'm called) advice, seen one temple, seen them all!

One would think that I would follow my own advice, but now, I was duped one final time as we traveled to the west WILD lands of China last month. So west you could literally smell the yak shit from Tibet. Your daughter was changing my tune, she shouted "we haven't seen TIBETAN BUDDHIST MONASTERIES!! This will be different and amazing!!!" Okay now, sold!
I'm actually excited to see this lamasery. Climbing hundreds of stairs in 12,000ft+ elevation, "WORTH IT" I shout, exhausted but still filled with excitement... almost there...


oh wtf, another damn temple.