Monday, January 9, 2023

Malaysia 2022/23 - #18 - Ipoh

 Following our enjoyable tour around Penang Island, Wife and I were anxious to get out and see some other things outside of Penang. We researched some towns that interested us. But to our dismay, we could not find any means of getting to them or getting around them once we got there. I resorted to reaching out to our round Penang tour guide, Emmanuel, to see if he knew of anyone or any company that provided a day trip experience to these towns. 

No, he knew of no one. However, he checked his schedule and offered to do it himself! He cautioned us it was not his area of expertise. We were so happy and we knew we'd get a good experience just being with him. So we did a bit of research as did he and off we went on Saturday.

First Stop  - We're going to...

Are you going to Kek Look Tong?

"Don't pay any attention to him. There are a lot of weirdos here."

Welcome to Kek Look Tong

"Why thank you."

"Yes, Welcome to Kek Look Tong."

"Okay. Okay. I got it already."

Kek Look Tong is one of a number of 'cave temples' in the area around Ipoh. All were built in the period of 1890 to 1920 when this area was at the peak of its mining boom. It is known for having the most spectacular entrance. We chose it because it had the fewest number of stairs to climb! 😬

Temple garden out the back of the cave

The Zen Monk Series

Monk of Contentment

Monk Smiting Your Attachments

The Road to Enlightenment is Smooth without Earwax

On to...

Stately Buildings from the British Period

Town Hall

Old Train Station (the inside was not as grand as we hoped)

An attractive garden

A Mosque lurking, waiting to convert you

Then into the Old Town for the MAIN ATTRACTION

I was beyond excited...you just don't get a chance to shop for this anymore.

Screening was pretty intense

But we were let in. Right in front was a guy preparing...

...Chestnuts?

That doesn't sound very 'concubinish' if you ask me.

In fact as we went on, I realized that there were, in fact, no concubine markets but this was a street where they USED to be back in wild mining days of the early 20th century. 

My Bad


But I wasn't the only one

"I am telling you dear, there are supposed be concubines here." 

"Love. You are dweeb."

We caught Emmanuel lurking by the dinosaurs

"Boss. We got another one of those crazy old white guys who think this is really a street for concubines."

The sweets on display were so colorful and artistically presented



I didn't have the room to buy these but I had a taste. It was yummy.

Some Candid Shots

I thought a lot of the street art was very banal. But this work was good!


While this is...I don't know what it is.

Emmanuel guided us to an ally that led to a coffee shop and was set up specifically to be photogenic.




Lunch - Southern Indian - the Banana Leaf meal. A variety of vegetable preparations, with a choice of meat, lots of rice and sauce.

My Ghanaian eating with hands practice did me well here.


SIGNS OF THE WORLD

SPECIAL KINGDOM OF NO EDITION

No Sleeping

No Mushiness

No Carp. No Turtles

No Booze

Damn it. We don't even want you to sing in the shower!

2 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

But I am teaching my turtle to sing in the shower! What will I do?!

alexis said...

RM - LOL. I do gotta say, your eating with hands looks extremely professional there dad! What a fun ending to your trip, although marred slightly by being denied the ability to shower publicly while singing. Malaysia - party poopers!