Thursday, December 12, 2013

More Cambodia Pictures - Day One

I'm sitting in our hotel restaurant sipping on a Pastis Ricard (notice the French influence).  We're killing time until our very late flight back to Manila.  Today #2 and I went to a Cambodian cooking class that was very interesting.  Then we went to the market where I bought yet two MORE scarves.  I seem to have pretty good internet connection here so we're going with the photo posts.

Killing Fields Museum

The influence of the Pol Pot debacle (on the US' part in it happening) is so strong in Cambodia that it seemed appropriate to start with remembering that.  It is interesting to note that there are so many people who are under the age of remembering what happened like our guide.  It is only recently evidently the the official position has been to recognize and try and not forget the huge human cost and disruption of that period.

Skulls of unidentified victims

#2 and our guide
The weather was fantastic - low 90's to low 70's.  It will get much, much hotter in just a month or so.
 

Pagoda/Buddhist Monastery on museum grounds
 

 On To The Market

#2 and 2B told us how great Southeast Asian markets are.  Haggling is expected but it is done with quite a feeling of humor here.  Even I got into it.  Humor was a quality that we felt through out our stay here.

2B and #2 on the hunt.  But I was the first purchaser.  Got 2 silk scarves for $16!


Tons of fresh veggies.  The food here is very vegetable heavy with just small amounts of meat in it.
 

Pig heads, pig heads, rolly polly pig heads.  Pig heads, pig heads eat them up yum!

Fish
Note the vendor sitting on the table in the middle.  This was the standard position of people working in the food market. 


One of a bizzillion food places around and near the market.
Please note that all the prices were in dollars.
It was amazing that the dollar was the preferred currency used here.  Frequently change came back as a combination of dollars and local rials.  

Samples of traffic in Siem Reap




Classy Bathroom in the Hyatt

2B did a great job researching places for us to eat during this trip. 
He wanted to have a drink at a classy place, the bar at the Hyatt.
I have a thing about classy looking bathrooms.

 



3 comments:

alexis said...

so glad you are taking pictures that capture the local architecture, like the geometric urinals.

Pu looks fab! That belly is hardly there.

terri said...

While the thought of this type of travel is so intimidating to me, those markets are so appealing to my inner shopper. I'm dying over your silk scarf bargains!

It's strange that you received change back in mixed currency. Do you think this is just a quirk or the area? Or possibly an attempt to short unsuspecting tourists on their change?

de-I said...

Terri - The scarves have turned out to be even better than I hoped with higher quality in use than I anticipated.

I found out after I got back that the reason for the currency acceptance is the fact that the US provides major support for the currency of Cambodia. I checked things pretty closely and never found that I was being short changed.