Then Wednesday was a full busy work day so I didn't have much time at all to even think about Valentines Day. So Thursday morning I realize I haven't done anything. I wrote a very heartfelt love note to Wife. I thought about making a meal but was concerned that we'd been eating so much in Mexico that we shouldn't be splurging. Then I concluded that could do a luxurious but portion controlled meal even though I would get back from meetings pretty late. Here is what I made.
- Shrimp Cocktail - I made a special cocktail sauce by making Chinese flavor base and infusing it into mayo
- Beef Tenderloin - Wrapped in bacon, seared it, cooked it in a low oven so it was equally done all the way through. Made a deglazing sauce with reduction of red wine and beef broth. We split an 8 oz portion
- Mashed Potatoes in the style of Robochon - This master chef is noted for a mashed potato that is about 50% potato and 50% butter. I didn't go that far but it is about emulsifying a lot of butter into the potatoes like making a vinaigrette or mayonnaise. In the spirit of portion control I only served a few spoonfuls of this each
- Sauteed Mushrooms Top Chef - On this season I saw one of the contestants use a technique of roasting the mushrooms first to get rid of some of the moisture before the final saute. It resulted in the best mushrooms ever.
- Crepes with Caramelized Pears - I whipped up a crepe batter and caramelized some pear slices before dinner. I made the crepes put the pears inside and whipped up a small amount of cream with honey and vanilla. This was my least successful dish as I was a little too light with the sugar and it needed to be a bit sweeter for my love.