Wednesday, July 4, 2012

On the Way Home

With the 4th of July falling in mid week, I decided to take advantage of that non work day to do a quick trip to see Dad.  So I went out Sunday and I'm on my way back today.  No news to report other than he has stabilized.  He has limited energy.  Limited appetite. Hearing and memory issues.  And he and we are just kind of waiting and wondering when it all starts falling off again.  In the meantime, I'm out of 'I need to stress and figure out what to do' mode and back into a more normal living and operating mode.  So this trip was more like just a visit.  Kind of reminds me of when we were on hiatus with my sister when her kidney function plateaued.  You put things out of mind but know that the storm will be arriving sooner or later.

A short note on traveling - the Sunday out everything was packed - lots of families with children and people who don't fly a lot.  Today, the planes were much emptier and very, very few business fliers so I got upgrades all the way back home.

4 comments:

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Happy Fourth! Safe travels!

terri said...

Glad to hear that your stress has dissipated somewhat, but "waiting for the other shoe to drop" can't be fun. Hope your dad continues to maintain in this relatively comfortable phase for as long as possible.

alexis said...

poor grandpa, last I wrote to him he was not really in good spirits. Waiting for the other shoe to drop indeed.

Jules said...

Glad to hear your dad is stable for the time being. Hope you had a happy holiday! Yay for empty planes!