Saturday, July 25, 2009

Palooza II

Two subjects today.

Podolny Palooza Report

In 1993, I was the unemployed ex-owner of a failed investment banking firm

In 1994, I started as a single person consultant having moved from Maryland to New Mexico

In 1998, I recognized I had a unique methodology for dealing with my clients

In 2000, I decided I needed to really push myself and this business and find out what it could do

In 2003, I suddenly found myself experimenting with expansion in Atlanta, Denver, and Los Angeles

In 2007, I recognized the need to try and create a real organization

In 2009, we met for the second time as a group (7 of us representing New Mexico, Southern California, and Chicago) in what we affectionately call Podolny Palooza to discuss where we were going.

For the first time I was able to make a breakthroughs critical to our becoming a 'real' business. I'd established collaboration tools, a repository for standard documents, and wrote out detailed process descriptions for our critical consulting methodology.

We met for a day and a half. On Wed morning, we did introductions. The various geographic personnel don't know each other that well. Then I conducted the first real class we had on our base consulting methodology. This was all work. I had both breakfast and lunch brought in as we were working in he conference room of my attorney.

In the afternoon we held discussions about the various sub-sets of actual consulting we implement.

On Thursday, we got down to serious discussions of the future and the need to evolve from a single entrepreneur based model to one of multiple committed owners - a big change but one that can take us to new level.

We had lots of follow on work that will need to be done to make this happen.

Pretty cool.

7 comments:

terri said...

Very cool!

Bernice said...

Congratulations on your success thus far. I can only imagine the effort it has taken.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

It's all good! I'm looking forward to more discussion and progress.

Unknown said...

Bravo!

stef said...

How exciting. Seeing it laid out like that really makes you appreciate how far you've some so fast.

alexis said...

good summary there dad :), and this is too curious, my word verification is "merit"

Mike said...

Wow! That is a pretty impressive timeline you have there. Not just anyone can go out and start a successful business like that. You have a gift!