Thursday, August 14, 2008

Life is Not a Fairy Tale

Sorry but this is not going to be a light hearted post.

Things come up again and again that remind me the importance of being grateful for what we have - that may of the things we bitch about really aren't that important - that we are so, so, so lucky to be where we are and have what we have - and most of all that none of this we are entitled to. We are just lucky.

Life isn't fair. Never has been. Never will be.

Since my kidney donation operation, I have followed a number of people who also have been going down the donation path and are blogging about their experiences. Just trying to repay some of the long-distance support that I received from so many people.

One of my greatest fears going into the operation was that there was going to be failure. I would be disqualified at the last minute from giving or I was going to be disabled or that the kidney wasn't going to work in my sister.

One of the young ladies I have been following is living my fear. The kidney she donated last week to her sister didn't work. Now she is dealing with all the effects on her life (inability to get insurance for example), the reality that her sister is no better off than before, and the emotional impact on her own self-worth.

Was she somehow less worthy of being a donor than me? Of course not. I lucked out. She threw snake eyes. Is this fair? No it isn't. It's life.

Enjoy your life. Appreciate what you have. Don't take it for granted. It's not a given.

6 comments:

alexis said...

sigh!

stef said...

Thanks for the link dad. She seems like a really cool chick in general. definitely a reality check for those of us with smaller worries.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Oh man....that sucks. That has to be one of the worst feelings...and it happens way too often. Ugh. To go through that, make the donation and then have it not work....crap.

Anonymous said...

I was at a loss as to anything to say to Cristy. Your comment on her post said it all. Her sense of failure and helplessness was gut-wrenching. I had the same thoughts. It could have happened to me and my dad. It still could. There are no guarantees.

I said going in that I wanted to do this one way or the other. I knew there was a risk, but I was willing to take it. But I think, deep down, none of us truly allowed ourselves to think it might not be successful. My heart aches for Cristy.

Michael Podolny said...

I'm so with you Terri. I can't get her pain out of my head or heart. You know I think she may not be much older than my daughters. I just wish I could hold her and let her cry.

Unknown said...

Count our blessings!  Our thoughts are with her.Agent W & The Derf