Sunday, August 10, 2008

Houston We Have Lift Off

Saturday morning both Wife and I are both in the kitchen around 7:30 AM. We're looking out the kitchen window doing the hummingbird baby check. Yes it's there. It has been very active. Sitting up. Primping its feathers. Looking around. Sitting on it's nest. Wife decides to take some more photos

Mrs. de-I - Wildlife Photographer

After the picture taking, we're looking and the mother returns. Feeds the bird, then starts flying around the nest (which is not her usual behavior). Mother leaves. The baby starts fluttering its wings. LIFT OFF. The baby flutters around the roof of the patio then settles on the ground on a damp section of the patio floor. Wife gets upset.

"Is that good for it to be in the water!" "Where is the mother when she's needed."

I'm thinking - it's a hummingbird dear, I don't think it could or is going to do anything.

Then after about 4 minutes of bewilderment, the baby just takes off and heads for a tree.

That is the last we've seen of mother or chick. The patio is ours again.

My Answer to Plating Attractively on my Current Plates

6 comments:

alexis said...

I was a little afraid for a minute that plate was the after picture of the hummingbird saga.

Michael Podolny said...

Ha, ha - Alexis - That would be so appropriate since I'm reading all my Roman history books again - Salad of new born hummingbird.

Anonymous said...

How amazing to be able to watch the hummingbirds the way you have. We get them. We try to attract them with our little feeder. But there is simply too much activity around our house.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Whoo-hoo!! Another Podolny leaves the nest! Excellent.

So your answer to plating is just fill it up so you can't tell the pattern? Sounds like a Joe solution! Nicely done!

Anonymous said...

Tell the little guy congrats for me!

Anonymous said...

I really thought that plate had something to do with the hummingbird.

No more Animal Planet HD for you :(