Monday, June 5, 2023

Mostly Spain - But Not Completely - On to Copenhagen, Denmark Where MUPGT Intervenes

 It was not logistically possible to get the #3 family to visit us in Spain, and financially it was actually less expensive for us to fly to Denmark. Hence one of the reasons this is a 'mostly Spain trip. 

On Friday, we flew from Alicante to Copenhagen. It reminded us of our deep, deep love of the travel experience. 

Our flight was not terribly early in the morning but we needed to drop our rental car off and were going to an unknown airport. Plus we wanted time to get some breakfast. Our getting out of the apartment went smooth but as soon as we started our current GPS provider, Apple Maps (you will remember we've been changing them to find one that will give verbal instructions suddenly stopped talking.

Crap.

I mostly knew the way and was following the map display only when, I missed a turn because it had the exit number wrong. I am watching the display and it is not rerouting. I get off the highway, and find a place to stop. I realize Apple Maps is not connected at all to signal. I try Google Maps. Not signal either (the phone has plenty of signal and I have internet connection). I try Waze. No signal. Screwed! I have a paper map. It's not very detailed. But I can see we got off way before we should have. I think the GPS' last gasp was sending us to downtown Alicante, not the airport. One can hear the Magical Unicorn Pony God of Travel laughing her equine ass off.

I jump back in the car. Wife says she's getting signal. I try Waze and it connects. And it talks! We make it to the airport. We are running way later than expected. I don't have time to find a gas station. We will have to turn it in low on gas and take the hit on the exorbitant price of fuel from the rental car company. (In fact due to EEU regulations, we pay pretty much the same as if we bought it at the gas station!) We arrive at the rental car company just before 8am. No one is there. It doesn't open until 8am! I have to park in this tiny space and leave the key in the drop box. 

On to the main airport. Schlepping our bags we find we are at the total opposite end of where our airline checks in. Thankfully, it's line is very short. The airport is much larger than I thought and very crowded (it is the beginning of the season). The line for security, which is way back at where we started. It is very long. But it goes quickly. From this point on, things start going smoother. There are no problems to speak of until we arrive in Copenhagen. 

We get a taxi driver who seems to have no idea where #3 lives. It takes a long time to get to her apartment but essentially, it was not a hose job as far as cost. We were pretty tired when we arrived but so happy to be with #3, 3A, 3.1 and 3.2 again.

2 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Wow! You took what MUPGT threw at you and just kept getting on with things. Impressive! Welcome to Denmark.

alexis said...

we were very happy to have you brave the travel and get here! such a nice weekend visit