Friday, February 24, 2023

Humiliation

WhatsApp is a huge part of my communications life. It is the most commonly accepted tool outside the United States for texting, voice and video communication. I love it because it is free and because you can put it on your computer as well as your phone. 

And therein lies the root to our drama today.  

My WhatsApp computer version has been acting squirrelly recently. It kept freezing. I had toforce quit and reopen it a number of times a day. Finally, today at worked it completely crashed. I was forced to reinstall it. 

The instructions were very clear. Download. Open. Go to your phone settings and find Linked Device. Initiate and point phone at QR code. Then it should install. Easy. 

Except my phone settings page has no 'Linked Device' option. I searched in other places like Control Panel and Bluetooth with no success. I went online and put in many, many search inquiries. All said, "Go to Linked Device".  After 30 minutes of this I am seething. I am ready to pound my head on the table.

One of the women of my Theodora team comes up and asks what the problem is.  I vent my frustrations. She takes my phone and goes to the WhatsApp home page. On the bottom right is a 'Settings' icon. She presses it and the menu shows "Linked Device". She presses that and initiates the sequence to capture the QR code information off of the computer screen. WhatsApp is back running on my computer. It took less than 90 seconds. 

She pats my shoulder and says BBC (born before computers).

2 comments:

alexis said...

now, these are the same women who hadn't touched a laptop or computer before 2 years ago.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Oh, no! I'd feel a bit sherpish too

But in reality, I'm in awe that so many of the BBC generation, like you and my parents, can use modern technology so well. Computer systems are constantly changing, and there are a million settings and things that can go wrong. I always wonder what new technology I'll be struggling with in a few decades. Probably teleporters...