Friday, June 10, 2022

The One And Only Rotary Convention

 I think everyone knows I am a part of a virtual, cause-based Rotary Club, the Club to End Human Trafficking. We are young, ambitious, way too white, and in need of getting better diversity of nations around the world. 

Each year Rotary International holds an annual convention. Prior to Covid these would attract up to 40 thousand Rotarians from around the world. But in 2020 and 2021 they had to be virtual. However, the convention scheduled this year in Houston, Texas, was going to come off in-person. Sadly because of the U.S. Government's breakdown in ability to process visas due to the prior administration and Covid disruptions, many who wanted to come couldn't. There were only 10 thousand in attendance. Including your truly.

You would ask,"de-I, you are notorious for not liking anything with crowds of people. Why the hell were you there?" A very valid question.

It started last February when my club president suggested this would be a great opportunity for members of our far flung, virtual club to actually meet each other face-to-face. I decided that was true so committed to go. Then over the next three months everyone else from the club backed out. I seriously thought of backing out too. BUT, there was this opportunity to do international recruitment that would never come again. As our Membership Chair, I felt a responsibility. There will not be another Convention in Northa America until 2025. Plus I thought it would be a good chance to promote Theodora as well. So I went.

I was helping man a booth of a related organization (The Rotary Group to End Slavery) which we are associated with. This gave me the venue with which to network. And I did. I was at the convention for two days solid, 10 hours each day, talking things up. I got a load of names. And was totally exhausted.Many in my circle (family, my Theodora participants) tell me I work too hard. Mostly they are not correct. I am on my butt making video calls. I am sorry, this is not hard work. Being on your feet, selling, non-stop for 10 hours a day is hard work. I will go on record as this was my first and last such venture.

And as a reward for my efforts...I came down with Covid! Thankfully have not been too bad (Thank you Pfizer Covid anti-viral drugs!). So I am writing this from my quarantine quarters in the Tower. 

On a more positive note, the high point of the convention was a social event, a 'drink-up' hosted by a Rotarian I know from Ghana. Yaw is our landlord. I didn't even know he was a Rotarian until just a few months ago. He invites me to this event. I have no idea what to expect other than he tells me important Ghanaian Rotarians will be there. Turns out to be a big ole BBQ with all kinds of Rotarian bigwigs. Yaw is promoting the hell out of Theodora. And I am (literally) the only white person in the room. It is very cool.


4 comments:

Bernice said...

de-Intimidator,
What you described in the last paragraph is incredible. Loved the video.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Oh, no, so sorry to hear about getting COVID! I'm glad you have a house big enough for easy quarantining, and I hope you soon recover.

I empathize with the conference experience. They are so useful for making connections but utterly exhausting.

RICE said...

turns out you cab still get the way out of the box!
wat to go!

alexis said...

let's go, Rotary money!