Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Contemplating The Next Big Transition

Wife and I have been doing a lot of talking about what happens next now that it seems the world has decided we are just going to all be getting Covid all the time so let's go back to life as is was before. I will be turning 75 in six months. Wife is a year + behind me.

The pandemic years cost us (and most everyone else) two valuable years (in terms of age) of travel. Equally significant for our quality of life, it, along with other events (political policies, demographics) has led to the diminishing of the availability of people to do work. This has been written about relating to all types of situations (such as businesses being unable to find help). But for Wife and I, it is hitting us at our ability to stay in our house.

Long time readers know, the many years of additions and renovations to the Tower have led to an environment that Wife and I truly love and don't want to leave. The problem becomes maintenance. Whether it is the yard, cleaning, necessary repairs, things that 10 years ago we might contemplate doing ourselves, are now becoming physically more difficult due to age related deterioration. It is not hard to project out a continuing deteriorating trend. 

So much thought is going into the problem. No solutions yet.

3 comments:

alexis said...

this makes me sad that I don't live near enough to help. But it may be a blessing in disguise. If my memories of cleaning chores as a child are at all accurate, I want to say my standards of "good enough" were rarely aligned to your's.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

This is a hard problem to solve. The majority of my friends who have downsized did so because house maintenance was overwhelming. But the labor shortage is definitely a new wrinkle.

Unknown said...

a maid once a week and a handy person and a landscaper as needed- and the Tower becomes like the grand Hotel in service as it already is in structure......

Yes....... , you can!