Sunday, May 8, 2022

Portugal-Amsterdam 2022 - #12 - Sintra - Traveling The Road Of Excess

 My time sequencing of posts has gotten off due to the fun and adventures of yesterday's travel. This post was actually from Friday when we did our last visit during our Silver Coast stay with the #3's, Sintra. Sintra is one of those 'A-List' tourist sites I love soooo much. Sintra has been an historical locale of importance going back to Moorish times. But it was during the  latter part of the 19th century that it became the go to vacation spot for the royal and powerful. As a result the area is covered 19th century romantic architecture. There are more palaces here than you can shake a stick at. We went to one, the Pena National Palace. It was built by a member of the royal family who wanted to wanted to out do some distant German relatives.

To get to our destination required climbing a very steep hill. We did this partially by tuk tuk (an electric, environmentally friendly one I might add.


One of many palaces seen on the way up

Moorish Fort from the 12th century. We didn't have time to visit sadly.

Moving in on Pena Palace



Pena Palace has all those things I love about A-List sites...like a bizillion fellow tourists.



It is wonderful to see that gleam in the eye of one of your fellow tourists

Pena Palace is a place where even the serpents are happy!

 

And yet you cannot make everyone happy. I suspect he too is not a lover of the A-List sites.

Interesting room

There seemed to be a real obsession with toilets

Can you guess what this is?

Happy Gargoyle

Not so happy Gargoyle

Despite the overall garishness, there were some good works of art.


Compared to the Palace at Mafra, this seemed to be a wanna be. Even the Antler room was just an echo of the former greatness.

However, I wish I had this kitchen when I was in my mass party phase.

Then is was back down also via electric tuk tuk


Our tuk tuk driver recommended are restaurant. We were somewhat leery but it turned out to be great.

Here is the seafood casserole I had.

And we will conclude with a...

...SUPER SIGNS OF THE WORLD SPECTACULAR!

Um...Going in the Wrong Direction Sir

The Shortest Line Here Is Not Straight!

Falling Surfer Zone

Toddler Tantrum Zone

No Communing with Nature Zone

This speaks for itself

2 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

I'm wondering what your family had to bribe you with so you'd agree to visit an A list site.

The tuk tuk trip looks marvelous.

alexis said...

Now I'm glad we didn't bother going to the Moorish castle because that alongside the Pena castle are the two big must-sees at Sintra. Looking at the photos I can see I definitely got sun burnt!