Sunday, August 8, 2021

Return Of The Great Quiet

Things returned to normal last Wednesday. The #3 clan headed back home ending a full month of family visits. It was so good to see everyone for the first time in a year and a half. I mean really good. But it was also very good to get our home back and return to our very tranquil, very quiet lives. 

I think we forget just how quiet we actually live. It becomes so apparent when you have a couple of rambunctious young children with you for a couple of weeks. It also makes you realize how old you are really getting. And PLEASE don't bring up that stupid saying that "Age is just a number." The only people who say that are people who are not of age. Those who are aging are very conscious of the fact that they don't have the same facilities, energy or capabilities they had before.

It was really brought to my attention this trip because of my decision to not participate in the activities of our local amusement center, Hinkle Family Fun Center. In past years, I would participate in many of the activities like bumper boats, bumper cars, go cart racing, laser tag, etc. with great relish and fun. But it has become obvious that trying to do these things, particularly getting in and out, was just not healthy for my body. 

It is also nice to get back to our own patterns of living - sleeping in our own bed, using our own shower, going through each day with our own schedule. I don't think we appreciate how important these are to our overall well being. Don't get me wrong. We truly love being with our family. But, not for the first time and certainly not for the last, we wonder what it would be like if we were closer to our children and could see them more frequently, be more a part of the regular lives.

But we are a family that takes to the world, all of us. That also has its blessings. So you take the good with the bad.

2 comments:

alexis said...

I think we certainly left feeling very similar sentiments!!!

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

My brother and I didn't fly quite as far from the nest, but it's true that raising independent, adventurous children often leads to them being far away.

I agree wholeheartedly about quiet and routine. Even at age 45, I find my travel or visits from others more disruptive then I used to