Saturday, May 8, 2021

Defining Freedom

 Things are opening up here in the Land of Enchantment. With vaccination, has come more comfort with actually being with people in-person.

This last week I had four (4) in-person, face-to-face business meetings. I was flooded with reminders of how much was lost when we went into our locked-down/virtual world. The primary thing I was reminded of was how the virtual world constrains movement.

It may not seem like a big deal, but when you are communicating via screen only, you are restricted mightily from moving. Plus it is very hard to not obsess about your own image. That lack of movement is (at least for me) painful. It limits the amount of time I want to spend in a meeting. AND it limits my creative thought. I noticed in the in-person meetings I had this last week, how free I was to move and let my vision wander. But that didn't decrease productivity. It rather opened the creative mind to finding opportunities to connect with those I was meeting with. 

On the other hand while I am very much looking forward to more in-person work, I continue to accept the value of the virtual meeting and will continue to use it.

2 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Yes, I agree heartily with all of this. It has helped immensely to turn off my self view in every meeting, so I don't focus on my own image. But I don't know an improvement for the lack of movement and the difficulty in seeing gestures.

alexis said...

I can't wait to have this revelation when we finally start being able to meet in person.