Sunday, February 7, 2021

Upgrade

I don't pay a whole lot of attention to technology. No one would ever mistake me for an early adopter. But on the other hand, I an certainly not a Luddite. As Wife likes to point out, compared to many or our age group we actually make use of quite a bit of technology.

But I am also...hmmm how to put this...economically conservative?...no...not quite right...fiscally careful?...mmmm...doesn't quite capture it...like to conserve my cash?...getting closer...Ah, here we go...

CHEAP!

Yup. I gladly acknowledge when it comes to technology (as opposed to when I fly internationally), I am plain cheap. This manifests itself by a tendency to use various devices until they stop working completely and are fully not supported by their manufacturer. Of course that latter doesn't take too long with all the planned obsolescence. 

Alas, this came to the forefront in the last couple of months when I realized that my MacBook Pro, purchased in 2016, had an operating system so old that none of my apps would work with it any more. Plus my version of Microsoft Office was no longer being supported either and I couldn't upgrade it with my existing operating system. 

Being a dyed in the wool Mac user, I looked at what was available. Normally I would by something less than the latest and greatest. But when I researched the new chip and operating system for the totally newest state of the art Mac, I decided to go for broke.

So here we have...Ta Dah


Although this is a 13" screen versus the 15" I have had previously, by playing around with the settings it is every bit as easy to see as the larger one. It is so incredibly light and mall. AND best of all...battery life. I turned this on today at 5 AM. It is now 9 PM. I spent 3 hours doing Skype video calling and I still have 30% battery life left. 

I think my new MacBook Pro and I are going to become best buddies.

3 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

I recall all the tech problems that have occurred in the past at de-I headquarters. A laptop that you can open and just use seems like a minor miracle.

alexis said...

I remember the very first mac computer you purchased. They should give you some sort of award for longtime membership!

de-I said...

You are right Alexis! I am going to ask for a rebate on this purchase plus getting my long-time achievement award from Tim Cook personally!