Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Ghana Non-Work

 This trip I was determined to not spend my entire time working. One weekend I ventured west of the capital Accra to an 'eco-resort' that had been highly recommended to me...the Lou Moon Resort.

In order to get to see more of the country, I decided to hire a car and driver to take me there. It was only about 130 miles from Accra. But in a country like Ghana that meant on a Friday an almost 7 hour car drive. On the map it looked like a lot of the road was close to the coast. But in the event, there was little coast seen on the drive. It was in fact a pretty long and dreary drive on very poor roads. But this is the reality of being in a developing country. The resort itself was lovely.   The food was really good which I did not expect. They get their fish fresh from villages right next to the resort. I had a chance to do some photography and really escape/

Les Photos

If you go through a town in Ghana, there will be vendors

Lots of towns like this

And lots of traffic





We stopped for lunch at one of the few places where the road came to the actual coast


Lou Moon Resort







Hike in the area around the resort




And back for a chill evening overlooking the Atlantic








4 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

I particularly like the second to last photo. Slightly otherworldly, like a Star Trek alien tropical planet.

I notice most people aren't wearing masks. Have they been able to keep their numbers down? I'm a bit jealous of the countries that have managed that.

de-I said...

RMG, mask-wearing was much more prevalent in the capital city, Accra, where I was. It was mandatory for the malls, supermarkets, hotels (for meetings), etc. They had a very strict lockdown to begin with. I am told that the quality of contact tracing is very good due to the 2014 experience with Ebola. All their borders are still closed with the exception of the international airport and I wrote about the testing procedures there to get in.

But as more than one Rotarian told me, in a country like Ghana, you have so many people dying of so many things, it is hard to always pinpoint causes. Starvation in their eyes is a bigger issue.

Still that doesn't explain why African numbers in general are so much better than those in South America for example.

Bernice said...

Sounds like you needed the R & R. I may have missed it, but are there pictures of where you work? I would be interested in a more detailed description of the work the women do. Also, how do you find the business that use their work?

The project is amazing.

alexis said...

I did not know that about the masks dad!