Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Grandiose Cooking Post Aborted

The scheduled mega-fantastic-multimedia cooking post to end all cooking posts was aborted on Sunday when an over supply of alcohol to the main picture taking thruster caused an complete meltdown of the photo documentation systems. Mission control was forced to abort the entire photo reporting mission.

I had started with the best of intentions. Celebrating the return of the sink and grand reopening of the kitchen, I am in cooking/entertaining catch up to make up for all the wonderful summer days that we have missed. For the three day weekend I had two entertaining events planned.

On Sunday it was hiking bud Wild Bill and wife Jill. They are lovers of Greek food so I designed a meal based on Greek/Italian salads to hold us over while I was grilling a Greek based leg of lamb. Then on Monday, we had our neighbors Anne and Pete of the Minnesota Mafia. They are vegetarians so I decided that I was going to make my first foray into cooking from Rick Bayless' cookbook by making multiple salsas/sauces to go with a variety of dishes.

On Sunday, I was doing a great job of photo journalism. Carefully taking pictures of each step. I was discipline itself until Bill and Jill showed up and the first scotch on the rocks was sipped. As I went through the entire first course without a single picture of a finished dish taken, I realized I had blown the entire project :(

However, I can report that everything was awesome.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hah. That has happened to me before. Therefore, the absence of photos = fun had by all. Because everyone was too busy having fun to take pictures.

Anonymous said...

ooh I love salsa!!

stef said...

Too funny. That always happens to me. Or i forget to take any pics until the end. But at least you can still put up a post with those! ;)

WeaselMomma said...

I think that the Scotch went beautifully with the dishes and company.

alexis said...

LOL - sign of a good dinner! I never remember to take pictures anywhere, so at least I am consistent.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Damn scotch!

terri said...

Of course everything was awesome! YOU were cooking. I have no doubt. I do always enjoy the play by play of your cooking adventures, though.

BTW, what is the Minnesota Mafia, and why am I not a member? If I have to live in this god-forsaken state, I should at least be able to claim membership in the mafia!

de-I said...

Terri - the MN Mafia are a group of women who are friends of Wife (from MN), living here in Albuquerque, who can not only actually place Mankato on a map but have been to Mankato numerous times, and who have a work ethic and appetite for physical labor and chores that makes your best illegal immigrant laborer look like slackers.

Anne from across the street once took out a tree stump from her front yard by herself. Her husband Pete and I were very supportive and made sure we couldn't be found during the whole process.

Still want to be a member?

Mike said...

Haha... sounds like everything was great.

Maybe I need to drink more when I cook. I might have better results. :-/