Monday, August 8, 2022

SE Asian Smoked Chicken

Let us take a break from the heavy topic of transforming lives and refocus on the equally important topic of cooking and eating well!

We had guests over from Wife's Rotary Club for Sunday dinner. I decided to smoke some ribs. But I had seen on a YouTube food travel channel a means of smoking poultry where you marinated the bird with a ton of SE Asian flavorings. de-I loves SE Asian so I decided to try to hack a version. 

Fortunately, as I've written about in the past, in little ole Albuquerque on has access to just about every SE Asian flavoring ingredient. So I bought a ton of ginger, galanagal, turmeric root, kefir lime leaf, lemon grass, shrimp paste, fish sauce. I took all this and mixed it up with oil, soy sauce, sweet Indonesian soy sauce, onion, garlic, coconut milk and made a massive amount of marinade.

Here is our birds ready for smoking after a full night immersed in SE Asian cultural experience.

Sadly, as usual, I failed to take any additional pictures. I had an issue in not putting the birds on the smoker soon enough. The last time I made chicken it cooked way faster than anticipated. So I had to finish it in the oven. The flavor was excellent. But, it didn't have as much smoke flavor as I would have hoped. Nonetheless, I am all in on using SE Asian flavoring as an alternative to tradition American BBQ flavoring for smoking meat!


2 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

That's a really clever twist!

It is kind of amazing how many ingredients you can get in Albuquerque.

alexis said...

I feel like the American equivalent would be to just open your cupboard and take a little bit of everything and then shove it in a blender and rub it on the bird. It's a prodigious amount of ingredients.