Friday, August 19, 2022

Deluge

 Can someone tell me who turned on the fire hose?

2020 was the death knell to my consulting practice. Throughout the halcyon days of our travel soaked semi-retirement, I had created a very nice, balanced amount of continuing consulting work. It funded most of our travel and kept me occupied when we weren't traveling. Then in 2019, the great Ghana/Theodora venture launched taking more of my time. Comes the pandemic and any thought of the kind of work I do was out of the minds of business owners simply wondering if they were going to survive. And on top of that, my whole practice was built on a face-to-face networking method of marketing which was completely out during the lock down period. 

2021 I finally managed to find an online platform and began to find a means of building my network again. But it was exclusively oriented on Theodora. The few consulting clients I still had were slowly withering away. 

Going into 2022, I was reconciled that my consulting life was over. Except when we did our financial analysis and realized that to get back to the travel life we'd had before and fund travel to Ghana, I'd better find some work! Fortunately the business world seemed to be reawakening. I did some perfunctory non-Theodora networking. But nothing that should have led to any business right away.

Comes July and I get two referrals. They immediately close. Then come two more. And two more. Suddenly over a period of 45 days, I've had the most new business closings in my entire career!!!!!

WTF!

And they are closing in the shortest amount of time. I meet with them. I give them a proposal. They say yes and off we go. 

Don't get me wrong, I am incredibly grateful to get this surge of income just when we needed it. I just have no idea at all as to why it is happening.

2 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Wow! I wonder if this is attributable to your excellent marketing skills as a senior business leader, something wonky with the economy, or the vagaries of the Fates.

alexis said...

hopefully a lot of pent of demand in the market from all that lockdown!