Monday, March 8, 2021

Fusion Fried Potatoes

 In this episode, we will see how the use of a Southeast Asian flavoring can turn simple fried potatoes into something kick butt.

The star of our show

Yes! Our dear friend Cambodian style Onion Paste

I discovered this application of its use totally by accident. I was making leftover soup but wanted to add potatoes which were not previously cooked. I was intending to use the onion paste as a base for the soup. So I decided to cook the potatoes in the oil infused with the onion paste. The rest, as they say, is history.

Preparing

Butter, Olive Oil and Onion Paste

Onion paste has totally been incorporated into the oil

Add the potatoes

Cover and cook until done with the potatoes nice and crisp

You can take the cover off for the last few minutes 

 The beauty of this dish is that the potatoes have a wonderful salty, onion flavor with no other flavor added with the exception of some black pepper at serving.

It is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL that you serve these potatoes with a quality French Burgundy such as a Pommard as below.


Actually it is not essential at all. But is nice if you have it!






3 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Mmm. That looks delicious. Although the only *bad* fried potato I've ever had is a burned fried potato, so I may be setting the bar low.

alexis said...

maybe they make a similar paste without onion or garlic?

de-I said...

😬 I think even the shrimp and crab paste, which are actually the more commonly used cooking bases, have onion and garlic in them, unfortunately. And I think those would be too strong flavored for the potatoes though I suppose I will have to try.