Monday, December 16, 2019

Returning To Our Roots or We Interrupt Our Ghana Saga...FOR VACATION!

No one can say I haven't been traveling this year. But most of it has been engaged with the great pursuit of the mission in Ghana. But as I mentioned earlier. I am tired and need a break. Wife hasn't had a chance to do any 'just fun' travel because she wanted to focus on working on strengthening her body. So we are both so looking forward to this two-week interlude into doing all the fun things associated with travel that we love.

Tomorrow we fly off to France. We arrive in Paris and will take a car to the Alsacian city of Strasbourg...one of many places in France I have wanted to visit for the longest time. Strasbourg has a huge Christmas market. They pretty much shut down the center city to auto traffic for about a month! I am planning to totally indulge myself in the multiple pleasures of 1) being in France, my first travel love, 2) doing our photography thing - OMG the colors/lights/etc will have to be amazing and 3) gastronomy - Alsace has so many things food-wise to try, it will be impossible to do them all in the three days we are there.

Then it will be on to Amsterdam to spend the Christmas holiday with the #3 clan, something we have never done. We love being Amsterdam, a city we like because it is an almost living in like feeling because of #3 has been there so long. And having a holiday with the family is something we have mostly been deprived of because we are spread out over the world. So this is going to be a treat.

Then after Christmas, we head off to Tromso, Norway to meet up with #2 and 2B. Tromso is north of the Arctic Circle. I have never been north of the Arctic Circle before. Why are we going here? Well, 2B convinced all of us that we needed to go see the Northern Lights and this might be the last chance we would have to do so as they will be heading back to Asia for future posts. 

I have to say originally I was not very positive about this. Wife has been deep into figuring out how to get good phots of the Northern Lights. With my energy being taken up with the Ghana venture, I just couldn't find the bandwidth to do the same. But finally, I just decided to hell with photography. I would just go and have the experience. And once I did that my enthusiasm grew. So I truly am looking forward to this totally different experience.

I will be happily back into travel blogging mode again too. See you soon in travel blog mode!

3 comments:

Rob said...

Why did I hear the "Imperial March" music in my head when I read this post? Must be because we are going to see Star Wars this week, no other reason! :P

alexis said...

no rest for the weary.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Seeing the northern lights is something I dream of doing once in my life. Have a great vacation!