Saturday, December 21, 2019

European Winter Escapade 2019 - Part Four - Closing Strasbourg With A Food Review

We had pretty much seen what we had on our list to see in Strasbourg. And we are still a bit tired. I have not been sleeping well. Our hotel is very nice in many respects but in some crucial ones related to sleeping comfort, not so much. So we have both been unable to really bounce back from our long flight and are feeling a bit less enthusiastic then we might be. That being said we still saw everything and had plenty of photo-taking opportunities. I think the lack of sleeping has been affecting my ability to process food. That has been really too bad because I truly love the food of Alsace.

So on our last day, we went out shopping for a number of things that we wanted and during the evening just kind of strolled and took in the ambiance.

Some miscellaneous street scenes

Just in case you don't know what this street is...
We will give you a pictorial reference
As we were making our way we saw this (click here)
It followed us around!
We ended up watching the impromptu band concert for a good 20 minutes


Eating in Strasbourg
Let there be no doubt if you have missed this over the 12 years I've written this blog but I love France and French food. It is a country I could easily live in. It was the first place I traveled to internationally and is still my first love
Wife had a list of five things recommended to eat for visitors to the Christmas Festival
The first night we knocked of two of them
Choucroute Garni
Sauerkraut cooked with a variety of cured and smoked meats
The meats were excellent. I honestly think I prefer the version I do from Julia Child's recipe
Probably need a wider sampling 
And Tarte Flambee
An exceeding thing crust almost like a crepe cooked in an oven so it is crisp with a topping creme fraiche, onions and bacon (there can be many variations)
Our hotel had a great breakfast buffet with superior cured meats, cheese and phenomenal bread
For lunch, we stopped and had two classics
Chicken cooked in Riesling wine with spaetzle 
Duck leg slow-cooked  served with red cabbage and some kind of potato casserole
For dinner, we were in the Lebanese section. No pictures. We were tired. But had a thin bread with meat in it and a stew of chickpeas and kidney beans that were both very good. We also had a kibbe that was blah and a fried potato spiral on a skewer that was not very crisp.

By our second full day, we were already feeling the effects of more meat and rich food than we normally eat in a month. Sadly, now that we have the time and the money to eat what we want, we no longer have the constitution to do it. So we decided to focus on street food. Well, this wasn't any less heavy or rich. We'd tried beignets the day before which were on Wife's list and they had been dreadful, clearly having been standing around for a long time. As we made our way through the markets, I was keeping my eyes open for places where the food looked fresher. At one a lady was topping up a big, big pan of chicken and mushrooms in cream and wine sauce by adding more cream, wine and flavoring. Clearly, this was going to be fresh. In fact, she told us we would have to wait 5 minutes before it was ready. So to hold us over we had a Saussison Rouge - Red Sausage
Chicken & Mushrooms in cream wine sauce on spaetzle 
That night because it was raining we cut the night short and went to the hotel wine bar
No pictures unfortunately
Wife had a small tarte with onions and local Muenster cheese while I had  really fine pate de foie gras

The next morning we really wanted to find a good beignet. I had researched what was considered the top bakery in Strasbourg
There was a long line and as I feared no beignets. We assuaged our frustration with...
Pain Raisin
And Pain Chocolat
Both of which were really excellent

I am posting this actually before our last going out
I will not be taking pictures as I just want to absorb the scene
But there was this place in the Lebanon section that was roasting a whole pig

I am thinking this might be the target for tonight
Oh and yes I did have the Gluhwein (hot mulled wine) which was yummy and will get some more tonight


1 comment:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

I make Glühwein almost every year, and it really signals the start of the winter season for me.

I will remember your technique for finding fresh street food.