Monday, May 15, 2017

HAPPY KIDNEY DAY! NINE YEARS AND COUNTING!

It was nine years ago and one day that I was  sitting in a hospital operating room waiting to go under the knife to donate a kidney to my sister. I was at the same time incredibly calm and fearful though probably nowhere as fearful as Wife was.

Later that day, I woke up (sort of) in the recovery room and realized I was still alive.

Yet later that day I realized that I had TOTALLY underestimated what this procedure was going to do to me and was in the most excruciating physical pain I have ever endured until then and since.

Nine years later my left kidney (the one I donated) is working like a champ...A Champ I tell you. If I had just realized how good my component parts were (compared to the mediocre whole), I would have thought of some way to monetize me!

Seriously, thank you Lord/Lady for looking over me, allowing me to provide this blessing, and to have survived and prospered.

If you'd like to read about the great journey of organ donation, my dissertation starts here.

2 comments:

alexis said...

happy 1-kidney anniversary to you dad!!!!!! I can hardly believe it's been that long. I remember we were all so worried about that.

Tee said...

This makes me smile. Our similar experiences are what fostered our online friendship! I'm grateful for that. July will mark nine years since my surgery. I wonder if my dad hadn't had so many other health issues, how long that kidney would have kept going.