Thursday, September 6, 2012

PUPUSAS

In Santa Fe there is the hole in the wall restaurant called the Pupuseria y Restaurant Salvadorno.


I've driven by this place but since most of my meals in Santa Fe are business related, I could never get any one to join me.  But this week I had a break in my schedule up there with no lunch appointments so I decided to go.  My brother in Washington DC area had told me about pupusas, an El Salvadoran dish, years and years ago.  But, until I saw the place in Santa Fe, I never knew a place that had them here.

I go in and the place is deserted.  I'm thinking either the food is going to be totally made to order or I'm dying of food poisoning.  Fortunately it was the former.

 I had a Horchata which is a sweetened rice water drink.  Pretty good.

Looked like house made chips and salsa


 And then the pupusas

These are masa cakes that have a filling put inside that are then pressed thin and grilled on a flat top
I had a chorizo and cheese and a spinach and cheese one (the waitress telling me two were about the normal order)

They come with this mildly pickled cabbage on the side which is nice because of the richness of the pupusas and a sauce (the red squeeze tube to the left) that surprisingly was hot (temperature hot) but not that spicy.


And I found they actually have locations in Albuquerque!
(The Bridge Street location must be smaller since they didn't capitalize the street name)

2 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Every place I've been in that serves pupusas has been a hole-in-the-wall. I guess that's because they are street food?

Jules said...

Those look pretty good! I probably won't remember the name, but if I ever come across those on a menu I will give them a try!