Friday, September 28, 2012

Euro 2012 - England-Spain Part 2 - Enjoying Amsterdam


We’ve been to Amsterdam enough visiting #3 that we no longer look at it as a tourist destination.  When we’re there we’re visiting and we get into a pattern of things that #3 and 3A have taught us are the enjoyments of living in that city.  Primary among those are the fact that it is a pretty small, compact place that is very flat, making it a very easy place to bike or walk.  We don’t bike so it is walking for use.  In fact unless you are going a pretty long distance or the ever present rain gets heavier than the consistent drizzle, walking is way quicker.  Plus, Wife and I like walking because we’re usually eating much more than usual and it helps keep off the pounds when we’re there. 

Today, 3.1 took a long nap in the late morning (as did Wife, they seem to be on similar schedules).  So we didn’t get out until around 1:30.  We then walked about a half an hour to the Albert Cuyp open air market.  The day before we had gone out for a little walk too and I picked up a European style mid-length jacket with hood that is much more appropriate for the kind of on again off again rain they have here.  Today I picked a new silk scarf to replace one I got here a few years ago that is getting very frayed.  We were just eye shopping except for some obligatory street food – frites are a requirement, along with my herring fix and Wife’s waffle with chocolate drizzled over the top (the latter was much better than I thought it would be as it was very chocolaty and not that sweet). 

Wife and I hung out in a café while #3 and 3.1 inspected a new daycare place.  Back to the flat where #3 had arranged for a babysitter allowing the four adults to go out for dinner where we enjoyed a typical Dutch service experience (really slow).  As a result we ended up drinking a second bottle of wine which probably wasn’t necessary but the 30 minute walk back home helped overcome the effects.

Pictures:

To the Albert Cuyp Market:

 There's always neat things to see when you're walking in town

  First stop - Got to get my herring fix :)

 

 Wife - "What do you think Muchy, how about some frites?"
Munchkin - "Sure Grandma, Mom never let's me have those."

 

 Hmmmmm Frites

 

Oh right we're suppose to be sharing these with #3 and Munchkin

  

 OK Munchy I suppose your folks don't want you to have beer either.

 

The On-going Love Affair of Munchkin and Grandma

I'm serious, the little one has just taken to her Grandma from practically the time she set foot in the flat.

 




A beautiful shot on our way to dinner
 
 
 You think this is just another cute grandchild shot.
I was actually eating breakfast as she was totally intent on my sharing it and using here best feminine wiles to get some :)

5 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

And I bet it worked! If I saw the face in the last picture, I would absolutely share my breakfast with her!

alexis said...

RM, I will hold you to that!

terri said...

Munchkin is SERIOUSLY cute! You've captured some precious moments with her and Grandma.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Nice pics! I didn't realize that you were in Amsterdam first.

Jules said...

lol those things that females can do to get their way. Looks like the little one is learning that early!